Famitsu has launched its annual gross sales charts for 2022, and Pokémon Scarlet & Violet — unsurprisingly — has topped the 12 months’s gross sales, promoting an unimaginable 4,338,931 models since its launch in November (thanks, Nintendo Everything!).
In the event you’ve been following the headlines and the weekly Japanese charts, then this may not come as a shock to you. Pokémon all the time does nicely — in 2021, Good Diamond & Shining Pearl was the second best-selling sport of the 12 months, for instance. Scarlet & Violet bought over 2.5 million copies in its first week, and the momentum hasn’t actually stopped.
You in all probability should not be stunned, then, that Splatoon 3 takes second place. Splatoon 3 broke a number of gross sales information when it launched in September and bought simply shy of two million copies in its launch week. Its complete 2022 gross sales equal 3,687,814 models, which is totally not a quantity to sneeze at.
Proper behind Splatoon 3 with 2,314,806 models bought is one other Pokémon sport — this time, Pokémon Legends: Arceus. This new twist on the Pokémon components additionally bought a staggering variety of copies in its first week, nearly cracking 1.5 million models. Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Nintendo Change Sports activities spherical out the highest 5 — and Kirby is not far off of 1 million, both. Just one non-Change sport made it into the highest ten, which is FromSoftware’s Elden Ring.
Sufficient from us, then — listed here are the highest ten best-selling video games in Japan in 2022:
- [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet & Violet (The Pokemon Firm, 11/18/22) – 4,338,931 (New)
- [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 3,687,814 (New)
- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus (The Pokemon Firm, 01/28/22) – 2,314,806 (New)
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 969,047 (New)
- [NSW] Nintendo Change Sports activities (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 887,722 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 742,018 (5,014,375)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 548,415 (2,960,006)
- [NSW] Mario Get together Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 485,594 (1,114,132)
- [NSW] Tremendous Smash Bros. Final (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 441,053 (5,065,191)
- [PS4] Elden Ring (FromSoftware, 02/25/22) – 356,711 (New)
In one other unsurprising stat, the Change can also be the best-selling console of the 12 months in Japan. Combining the unique mannequin, the Lite, and the OLED, the console bought 4,804,549 models in 2022 — greater than 4 instances that of the PS5, which bought over 1.1 million models over the identical interval. This was the 12 months that the Change outsold the 3DS in Japan, too, and we expect 2023 shall be one other record-breaking 12 months for the Change.
- Change (incl. Lite and OLED) — 4,804,549 (27,724,047)
- PlayStation 5 (incl. Digital Version) — 1,154,054 (2,377,389)
- Xbox Sequence X|S — 269,737 (398,395)
- PlayStation 4 — 22,823 (9,417,767)
- 3DS — 10,449 (24,597,897)
Are there any surprises for you in Japan’s best-selling video games? Share your ideas within the feedback!